Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cherry Cheesecake Balls

I love the Recipe Exchange in the Hartford Courant. Pulled many of my favorite recipes from there over the years. This one is easy and freezes well.

3/4 cup butter, not margarine (other recipes call for 2 tsp butter!!)
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
20 marachino cherries, well drained, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs

Cream butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract thoroughly.  Add coconut and cherries. Chill mixture until firm. Shape into small balls and roll in graham cracker crumbs.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.
NOTE: had trouble forming them, found this tip online: Drop by teaspoonfuls into graham cracker crumbs, form into balls, and reroll again. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Keep refrigerated. I actually put batter in freezer - the only way I could get it to work. I used 1/3 % fat free - maybe the problem. So next time I'll make ahead, freeze for a few hours, then form.

No comments: