Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stephanie's Summer Salsa

Marilyn brought this to a wine tasting at the vineyard in Wallingford. It was so refreshing on a warm summer afternoon. I'm embarassed to say how many times I asked her for the recipe - I kept misplacing it, so last time I saved  it electronically, and put copies in every file I had. Here it is, word for word...

We usually wing it, mix more to taste.  I really have no idea the proportions of vegetables.  I would say fill your container 2/3 of the way with diced tomatoes, then the rest with equal parts of vidalia onion, pepper (I usually like yellow or orange because they are sweeter and for color contrast), one small can of corn, beans (if you like, usually half can), also can add diced mango if you like.  I usually just pour the liquids, but I use apple cider vinegar, splash of olive oil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic to your taste.  I usually will pour some of the juice from the minced garlic you buy in the grocery store in.  Then let it sit and the tomatoes will sweat, re-season to taste.  There are no set vegetables and proportions.  Its kind of a matter of taste.  Steph uses the beans and I don't.  Its all preference.

No comments: