Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Marinade

This came from a friend, by way of a chef, who I understood to be a Culinary Institute product. I make this all the time, not just for beef, but for chicken, stir fry, kabobs, etc. Whenever teriyaki sauce would work.
I have to tell you, it calls for tomato juice, but you can use anything tomato - paste, ketchup, pasta sauce, probably even BBQ sauce, tho never tried that! It's basically equal proportions of the major ingredients so I make as much as I need each time. It's an amazing marinade. I especially like skirt steaks with this. Marinading for an hour is plenty. Put all in a ziploc - it travels well.

Good for 4 + lbs of flank
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/2 cup tomato juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground pepper

Score meat 1/2 " down in a diamond. Marinade 1 hour. Grill 3 - 5 minutes per side (brush grill with oil) - slice diagonally. Heat marinade and serve as au jus.

No comments: